Although Simonton’s color coatings are extremely durable and scratch resistant, it is possible for the product to become scraped, scratched, or nicked during transportation, installation or by flying debris. These coatings can be easily touched-up by following our simple instructions.
Before you start you will need:
A. Touch up paint (included with kit)
B. Applicator brush (included with kit)
C. Foam brush
D. Artist brush
With any application of this type, conditions must be favorable so that the coating can adhere to the surface and dry properly. For best results, make sure temperatures are above 60 degrees during applications, with night-time temperature above 40 degrees. If possible, touch-ups should be avoided during high humidity or if rain is expected before the coating has had adequate time to dry.
Note: Coating curing time ranges from 24–48 hours, depending upon conditions.
- A light sanding may be required over the affected area. We recommend using a 360 or 400 grit dry sandpaper.
- After sanding prepare the area to be painted by wiping clean with any mild household cleaner to remove any surface dirt or debris. As a general rule, do not use cleaners that are solvent based or that may contain any oils or ammonia, but most mild household cleaners will work.
- Make sure that the surface is completely dry before beginning.
- Determine which brush is best suited for the affected area. When touching up larger areas, a foam paint brush may be used. For deep scratches or gouges, an artist brush works best. These brushes can be purchased at most any retailer where paint supplies are sold.
- Shake the touch-up bottle of paint well prior to applying.
- Use even strokes when applying paint.
- For best results, follow-up with a wet sanding using a 600 grit sandpaper. This will help properly smooth and feather edges.
- Allow paint to cure for 24-48 hours before operating your window.
Before & After Touch-ups
Before: Large scrape on a casement window before being touched up. For repair on a larger area the foam brush technique usually provides the best results.